Random Facts About SS4BC
January 9, 2011 12 Comments
A little meme went around the internet called “25 Things” a few years ago. I’ve decided to update that meme and increase it to 30. So here are 30 random facts about yours truly!
1. When I was a kid my only career goal was to have a Ph.D. because I really liked school and wanted to go as far as I could. My senior year of high school I was looking at a list of majors and decided that Biochemistry might be interesting since I liked both Biology and Chemistry — even though I didn’t really know what Biochemistry was. Now I have a Ph.D. in Chemistry and worked as a post-doc doing Biochemistry and Microbiology. Now I’m an Assistant Professor in Chemistry still doing Biochemistry research. So I guess I knew as a young child how this might all turn out.
2. I’m very indecisive about things that are external to my career. This indecision has in fact lost me quite a few good friends.
3. I am not a good acquaintance friend. I have a hard time having completely superfluous relationships with people and will instead resort to completely childish humor to make myself feel more comfortable or just clam up with people I don’t know well. This in turn usually makes other people feel more uncomfortable with me.
4. I LOVE speaking in front of other people – the larger the group the better. I’m more comfortable giving a lecture in front of 300 people than going to a party with 25.
5. I always wanted to live in San Diego. And contrary to how this may sound to those outside of science, I had to move to the Midwest to even have the possibility of moving back. Now I’m in Kansas, and while I’d love to move back to San Diego, I’m completely happy with where I am at now.
6. My original family unit growing up was my mom, my brother and I. Both my mom and my brother passed away (11 years and 6 years ago, respectively). It is really lonely not having that family unit that you can fall back on.
7. In a matter of a year a swang from hard-core Jesus freak to complete Athiest. I spent 2 years examining religions and found that my “truth” was somewhere in the middle. I don’t miss either side of the equation.
8. I believe that everyone has a quota of energy they are given in a day, and we allocate the areas in our life that we want to put that energy. I rarely use this energy to shave my legs, blow dry my hair or put on make-up.
9. Knowing that most people find hair legs repulsive, I have done laser hair removal. I now shave just as often as I use to — which, disgustingly enough, is about 3 times a year. The only difference is I’m not that hairy when I do shave. And yes, I’d be more than happy to talk with you about it.
10. In the past 10 years I have only been in relationships with guys named “Matt”. And that is not because there has been only 1… or 2… or 3… My current BF is not named “Matt” and part of me thinks that is why it is working so well between us.
11. I smile the biggest inside when one of my animals lays their head on me. I smile second biggest when someone I’m teaching finally gets it.
12. I’m scared shitless to be a mom, which is why I haven’t chosen a path in life that has lead me to it. However, I do believe if I was even half as good as my mom was I’d be a pretty awesome mom. No, this is not an admission, I am not pregnant nor do I want to be.
13. I’m addicted to Rockstar, Chai lattes and Dr. Pepper. Rarely a day goes by that I don’t have one of them. But, rarely is there a day where I have all three.
14. My senior year in high school I was involved with the Community Theatre so extensively that when I counted, there was only 6 days the entire year that I did not go to the theatre. Because of my involvement they gave me some money for college, which I wasn’t expecting but was really nice. =)
15. I’ve been fortunate enough to never have to pay for school. I had tuition, room, board and books paid for in college. I got paid to go to graduate school. Still I have student loan debt as I needed to buy a car when I was in graduate school. This is the only reason I have student loan debt.
16. I love to scuba dive. I am a dive master and my idea of an excellent vacation involves me spending 4 hours of the day below the surface and the rest of the day site seeing.
17. I love teaching. Since my sophmore year in college I have always found a way of doing some sort of teaching on the side. Now I do it for a career and couldn’t be happier.
18. I wake up a least once a week and think “Holy Hell, I live in KANSAS?!”
19. I was a Republican when I was younger because I was a Christian. Then I learned what Republicans and Democrats believe outside of the Religious Right and realized that not only was Democrat not a dirty word (like I had been led to believe) it was in fact probably more Christian. Yeah, I said it.
20. I find Republicans who call Democrats “socialist” just as amusing as Democrats who can Republicans “fascist” — and by amusing, I mean “idiots”. Cause seriously, just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t mean that it is horrible. Perhaps I should really call myself a “moderate” in this respect. Yes, I did split tickets in 2008. But for the first time since I was old enough to vote, my candidates won!
21. I probably say “your mom” on average of 15 times a day.
22. I own enough funny t-shirts that I could wear one every day for 2 months without repeating. Because of my “thesis weight”, I can’t fit into most of them anymore though.
23. I started a book club in 2005 because I wanted to meet people who were just as into reading, but just as busy as me. I met some of the greatest girls in the world through this book club.
24. I can do anything I put my mind to reasonably well, I just can’t do any one thing exceptionally well. My college adviser called me a “Jack of all trades, master of none” — he was right about that. But I don’t think it as much of a negative as he was implying that it was.
25. In the past 12 years I’ve had cable TV for only two of them. For some reason TV just isn’t as important to me as it is for the rest of the world.
26. I spend $35 every year to give my bike a tune up and then ride it maybe one or two times. I’ve done this every year for the past 4 years. I wish I could find the motivation to ride it more frequently, because I love doing it.
27. Some day I want to collect student artwork. I want a house with large walls to hold art created by the yet undiscovered. I love art and wish I could own more than I do.
28. One of my “when I’m older” dreams is to have season tickets to a professional sports team. I did that this year by having season tickets to the Chiefs. However I only ended up using 4 of those tickets. Kind of a waste, but I got to see my Chargers play their season opener on Monday night football live, so it was completely worth it for me.
29. The average time it takes me to tell someone “I love you” when in a relationship is a year. I like to make absolutely sure I’ve seen their good and their bad and they’ve seen the same in me. I don’t think I can love someone without seeing them at their worst and still wanting to be there for them.
30. I spend a considerable amount of energy every day thinking about how to make my life better.
What are your 30 random facts? I’d love to read them!