December 27, 2010 8 Comments
One of perks of being in academia is time off. I get a month off over Christmas break. I get three months off during the summer. Yes, I still have some things that I need to do, like prepare for the next semester. Preview text books. Etc. But without having to go in to the office, meet with students, prepare lectures, go to meetings, ect. In short, I have about two full days of work to do in the period of a month.
This sounds great – in theory. But lemme tell you, all the time in the world and absolutely no responsibilities can be a huge pain in the ass.
I am sitting in my pajamas reading blogs in my bed until 1pm. Then I fix myself a PB&J sandwich and play CityVille while watching Netflix until I get hungry for dinner. Then I’ll go take a shower, wonder what to make for dinner, go buy something to eat. Fix it for BF and I and we’ll sit on the couch doing whatever (movies, TV, videogames, board games) in the evening. In short, I’m doing nothing… All. Day. Long.
Yes, this is a dream…. for about two days. After day three I started getting anxious. After day four I started getting a little crazy. By day five I was turning in to a desperate housewife. I started focusing my thoughts on placating my boredom with shopping (mainly groceries and Christmas gifts). Planning menus and then being angry when my sister or BF didn’t want one of the things I fixed. Focusing on every little thing around the house that needed to be done. Why or WHY did my sister not fold that towel the proper way? In short, I have gone slightly nuts and not like myself in the least. I can totally see how easy it would be for me to fall in to a desperate, depressed housewife with little to no time or effort.
I’ve realized two things:
- I absolutely will have to find myself a job over the summer. I can barely keep myself sane for a week currently, there is no way I’d survive an entire summer.
- I need to keep myself busy now. I have quite a few different things I want to work on. So I’ve decided that each day I’m going to give myself a task to do and I can’t “veg” until my task is complete. That way I won’t do the “I’ll put it off till later” routine since I have “all the time in the world.”
So a few ideas of what I need to do each day are as follows:
- Always make sure to wake up at a reasonable time. 9am at the latest. Also, go to bed before midnight.
- Each day work on something for one of my classes. Write syllabi, prepare lecture material, prepare online class pages, work on webpage. One of those things a day should take an hour or two of work on the week days.
- Go running every day with Jack. If it is icy or snowy then go to the gym to run.
- Read at least 100 pages in a book – I’ve gotten way too far behind in my pleasure reading and I miss it desperately.
- Don’t turn on the tv or screw around websites until the above are done.
I thought having all of this time off would be awesome, but without the money to go on vacation with my time off, life is very, very boring… and who I become with idle hands is also a little frightening!