Christmas – Everyone’s Doing It!
November 11, 2009 12 Comments
This year for some reason I haven’t been as excited about Christmas as I usually am. Perhaps it is because I know it is going to cost me money and I’m trying to avoid that? Who knows… But I’ve decided to put up my Christmas list ideas.
My plan is to ask my dad if we can have a $15-20 limit for presents this year so that I don’t have to go overboard with gifts.
Here is who I have to shop for:
- Dad – I have some souvenir shot glasses that he asked for from Europe that I’ll give him. Also, I bought him a book with my Swagbucks that he’ll like. If he goes for my $15 limit, I shouldn’t need to get him anything else.
- Sister – I have a souvenir hat for her from Europe. I have bought her birthday present (from eBay), but am still debating what to get her for Christmas. I want to make her some pillows, but doubt that I’ll be able to make them in time. If I can’t I’ll use my Swagbucks to get her a necklace from Amazon.
- Grandma – I bought her a beautiful pea coat at the end of last season. I can’t wait to give it to her. It retailed at $160 and I bought it for $6 (oh yes, I also got myself one, I LOVE it). I also plan on making her some coasters with pictures of our vacation to Europe on them.
- Step-dad – I want to finish the quilt I’ve been working on for the last 3 years. It is a king-size Harley Davidson quilt. I also have a shirt from the Indy 500 race, as well as some souvenirs that I got for free (a flip book and stuff). I will also give him a note that welcomes him to come join me next year and offering to pay for tickets to the race if he’d like to join (I should be able to get free tickets again, like I did this year). If I can’t get the quilt finished I’m not sure what I’ll get him in addition, but something nice.
Others. These are people who I want to give a little something, but try to spend as little money as possible. Just a little something to let them know I am thinking about them.
- Best friend from high school and her family
- My three uncles and their families
- My step-grandpa
- Step-brother and his wife
My current plan is to buy some cheap tins from Michael’s (I couldn’t find any on Amazon) and make some cookies to send to these people. I’ll give each about a dozen cookies – so I’ll need to make 7 dozen in total.
If I’m still dating Mr Cousin, I plan on getting him a nice wine bottle opener (he doesn’t even know how to work his) and give his sister some cookies. I’ll be able to get the wine opener using Swagbucks.
So it looks like I’ll need to buy some ingredients for cookies and some of the craft supplies for my step-dad’s quilt. I have $220 available in my budget for Christmas, I think with shipping costs and present costs that I should still come in far below this.